Thursday, July 14, 2016

Blog #3

     Since the beginning of the conference in June, I have been grappling with the term maker space. What exactly is it? Have I been doing that or not, or something like it? If so, what do I need to do differently or change just a bit to make it better? What does it look like in a 3rd grade classroom?
     I like to bring one element of my own learning into the classroom each year, so this year it will be the use of a maker space. I need to do a bit more research, but I envision having materials available for student use during the day. I might put the students in small groups and let them rotate at that station during the day or week (different times everyday or week- structured) and have it available to complete projects on their own- unstructured. A clear set of expectations on how the space is to be used will be decided on by our classroom community.
     I'm excited about introducing paper circuitry to the students because I think our third grade social studies curriculum will lend itself well to incorporating it into our lessons, which I will explain more in my final project. We study the island of Kodiak and its people over time throughout the school year. I can foresee that after a few structured lessons about paper circuitry during our social studies time, I would add the materials into the maker space and have it available for students to use throughout all of the subjects. In addition, I plan on either taking advantage of the engineering challenges that may come our way through the district email or creating my own. At first I'll start with a small goal and try one per trimester.
     Having a class blog about our maker space would also put a focus on that area and help keep it sustainable throughout the year. The students would each take a turn writing the blog in teams or solo and I would help them edit. They could photograph and interview each other and post that too.
     The possibilities are really endless and that's what can make this project stay alive. The students will receive their content and standards will be addressed, which are the district's requirements. Having a maker space will just make the classroom a better space for student learning.

6 comments:

  1. I like your decision to use paper circuitry in SS. I can envision putting together time lines and scenes from history using circuits. I also agree that taking it slow and only setting one small goal per trimester is a good idea. Every time I have tried to jump into a new concept too quickly has never worked out for the best. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the beauty of elementary school, you can juggle all the content and integrate STEM activities, such as Paper Circuitry providing the needed content information and background knowledge.
    I agree, SS or even Language Arts can be great content for integrating Paper Circuitry activities since both content areas do naturally generate reflective and creative writing that could be over-layered to a visual component offered by Paper Circuitry. Please share your implementations, I would love to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Emanuela, thanks for reading. The plan is to share :-)

      Delete
  3. I also agree that social studies is a great content to be very flexible for creative learning.

    ReplyDelete